John Tighe: How To Position Yourself For Profitability & Success In Business
Chatting With Champions Podcast Interview #88. Tyler Basu and John Tighe “How To Position Yourself For Profitability & Success In Business”
John Tighe is an online marketing expert, entrepreneur, speaker, business coach and founder and CEO of the Strategic Positioning Press publishing house. He’s published several books including the bestselling book Crush It With Kindle, and he’s the host of the top ranked business and marketing podcast Publish Position Profit.
Before striking out on his own John had a career as a corporate lawyer, but decided he wanted more from life. Today, instead of being chained to his desk at a law firm, John works with experts and entrepreneurs from around the world helping them to strategically position themselves so that they can rapidly grow their businesses by attracting more of their ideal clients and by being able to charge what they are truly worth.
John’s mission is to help experts and entrepreneurs share their message with the world so that they can build a successful business doing something they love, live life on their terms and inspire others.
Topics discussed in this interview:
- John’s background prior to becoming an entrepreneur
- An overview of his first business
- How John got started with publishing and online marketing
- Challenges he has faced and how he has overcome them
- Ways to publish your message and reach your target audience
- How to position yourself as the go-to expert in your industry
- How to convert prospects into customers and make your business profitable
- John’s definition of success
- Advice for aspiring entrepreneurs
- Lead Pages
- Schedule Once
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- The 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris
- Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker
- MONEY Master The Game by Tony Robbins
- When you’ve got no cash, the business simply stops. It cannot operate.
- It’s very rare that you start out with the exact map of where you’re going to end up. You try some things that work. You try some other things that don’t work so well. You come across new ideas. So your business evolves.
- You’ve got to position yourself in the mind of your prospect as somebody who is valuable – as an expert, as an authority.
- You need to be perceived as an expert, and you need to go after a market that can recognize the value of what it is you do, and is prepared to pay for it.
- We live in an extraordinary time. We are incredibly lucky as entrepreneurs to have all these amazing free platforms through which to publish our message.
- Positioning is all about the position you occupy in the mind of your prospect, and doing things that are going to make you stand out.
- Get clear on how you want to be perceived and positioned in the marketplace and then do the things that are going to portray you in that way.
- If you can’t position yourself as somebody special and worthwhile and worth paying for, what do you have to compete on? Pretty much just price.
- Most businesses don’t really differentiate themselves. They become commoditized and compete on price, and that’s a race to the bottom.
- If you publish your message to the right people, and position yourself in the right way, the profits are going to flow from that.
- It’s not completely true to say that if you follow your passion that’s all you need to do, but there’s a lot of truth in that. If your passion is something that nobody wants to pay for, you’re not going to make money.
- Not everybody is going to buy from you, and that’s okay. You don’t need everybody to buy from you. You want to attract the people that like you and like your style.
- If you don’t have the mindset right, you can have all the tools and tactics in the world, but you won’t succeed.
- Commit and take action, and know that it’s not going to be perfect the first time. Give yourself permission to fail but fail fast and fail forward and learn the lessons.