Nathan Chan: One Man’s Mission To Inspire One Million Entrepreneurs
Chatting With Champions Podcast Interview #95. Tyler Basu and Nathan Chan “One Man’s Mission To Inspire One Million Entrepreneurs”
Nathan Chan is the Publisher & Editor of Foundr Magazine, a digital magazine for young entrepreneurs. Nathan launched Foundr in March 2013 from his bedroom and in a small period of time it has become a top 10 ranked ‘Business & Investing Magazine’ in the Apple app store.
Nathan was a finalist for Publisher of the Year for 2014 in the Digital Magazine awards. He’s interviewed some of the most accomplished entrepreneurs around the world including Richard Branson, Arianna Huffington, Seth Godin, Tim Ferriss and many others. His magazine currently inspires hundreds of thousands of readers, and he is on a mission to inspire one million entrepreneurs.
Visit Nathan’s website: www.foundrmag.com
Topics discussed in this interview:
- How Nathan got started in business and why he became an entrepreneur
- The process of starting and growing Foundr Magazine
- Steps involved in publishing a digital magazine
- How Nathan has utilized outsourcing to build his team
- Challenges entrepreneurs face and how to overcome them
- Building a business on the side while still working for someone else
- Quitting his job to run his business and how he handled the transition
- Mistakes Nathan would avoid if he could start over
- Specific habits that are key to Nathan’s success
- Nathan’s definition of success
- Advice for aspiring entrepreneurs
- Headspace Meditation App
- Schedule Once
- Influence by Robert B. Cialdini
- The 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris
- What To Do When It’s Your Turn by Seth Godin
- All Marketers Are Liars by Seth Godin
- The Foundation Podcast
- Get Altitude Podcast
- Seth Godin’s Startup School
- Growth Hackers blog
- Noah Kagan’s blog
- As long as you’re keeping your current customers extremely happy, and you’re bringing on more customers, the business will grow.
- Serve first and ask later. You always want to try to provide value first before you ask someone to help you.
- I am constantly testing things. Everything is a test. You don’t know if something will work until you’ve tested it. Otherwise it’s just an assumption.
- I just show up every day and work my ass off. I’m extremely hungry. I just want it so badly.
- The difference between people that make it and the ones that don’t is they have an extreme amount of desire and hunger inside of them.
- Most people won’t start a business because they’re too comfortable. They’re not hungry enough. They’re not uneasy about the life they’re living.
- You’ve got to know what you’re working towards. You’ve got to have your eye on the prize.
- What can you do today that brings you closer to hitting your goal and move the needle forward?
- The amount of money you make is in proportion to how well you serve your community.